Friday, 13 September 2013

Midlife Crisis

I think I'm having a midlife crisis since I turned 30.

I'm 5'4" and approximately three and a half stone over weight.

Before I fell pregnant with S I attended weight watchers for about 6 months and lost just over a stone.  I felt so much more body confident and I truly believe it was because of the weight loss that I finally fell. I suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome so had been trying since H was about a year old.
I reckon I probably weight the same as I did before weight watchers.  But dress size I've only gone back up one from the two I lost.

The most exercise I get is walking to the nearest village and back a couple of times a week at tops. Which is about 2 miles away. Very occasionally I cycle.  And as you can see from my previous blog post here I also very occasionally use the trailer with the bike.  But man that thing is heavy to pull.
So with all this in mind I decided I will run a half marathon at the beginning of March 2014.

Yes you read that right.  Like I said at the beginning. I don't think I'm of sound mind. I hate running always have.  I remember hating running when I was 7 and I did my first school sports day. I was always last.

H's school PTA did the half marathon last year to raise funds for the PTA and their charity PACT. I was truly inspired by the mum's and dad's that took part. Some of the mum's were in a similar situation to what I am in now. I think they are amazing people to have completed it and a true inspiration.

Last week the letter came home from school asking if anyone would like to join them this year.  I jokingly said to hubby shall I do it.  At which he laughed and said "you!" Then went on to say he doubts he would even be able to do it.  This coming from the man who regularly cycles 14 miles a day. 

I then got thinking about the mum's that did it last year.  If I try to keep up the training all through the winter then maybe I could do it.

I spoke to a few of them and some how I agreed to do it.  Honestly I'm still in shock that I've said yes. I don't think it was me talking.

Last night I started my training.  A friend of mine who has been running for about 5 years offered to help get me started. She was very encouraging but I did feel I was slowing her down.
I went round a 2 mile circuit, walking and running.  I amazed myself at just how much running I did do.  It wasn't easy and I didn't expect it to be.  But I just need to keep telling myself that it will only get better from there. 

I also didn't follow any time limits on how much walking/running I did.  I just listened to my body.  Pushed it a bit further then walked until I felt I could run again.

I think I'll keep a bit of a diary here of my progress. So apologies in advance if I bore you.

No comments:

Post a Comment